The Imagination Library has been providing hard cover age appropriate books to participating families of children age 0-5 in our community for 15 years The KYNDLE Education Foundation is the supporting agency for Imagination Library in Henderson. The books are free to participating families, but each community funds the project through donations and grant funding.
KYNDLE received grants and support in 2018 from AT&T Foundation, International Paper Foundation, United Way, City of Henderson, Ronald McDonald House, Henderson Rotary Club, Henderson Breakfast Lions Club, and individual donations.
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a national early literacy project that provides high-quality, hard cover children’s literature books to any child in the county every month from birth to age 5. This project is free to any family that registers. The KYNDLE Education Foundation and community partners support the funding for books and mailing. KYNDLE Foundation has been able to provide books to over 8500 children under the age of five since 2003. There are over 1,375 children currently enrolled.
- The cost is approximately $2.50 per child per month or $30 per child per year. One child can be sponsored for the 5 years for only $150 (This includes the mailing fees and the book)
- Henderson was the first county in Kentucky to offer the Imagination Library program.
- I Am Your Henderson Child, Inc. brought the Imagination Library to Henderson in November 2003.
Statistics on the importance of early learning are:
- 35% of children arrive at school unprepared to learn.
- 75% of students who are poor readers in the third grade will remain poor readers in high school
- Children learn to read from first to third grade, from third grade on – students read to learn.
- The key is to start at birth.
- From birth to age nine are critical years for brain development.
- The more words a child hears, the larger the child’s vocabulary, the more likely the child will be a proficient reader.
- Children who are read to at least 3 times weekly are twice as likely to score in the top 25% in reading.
- Over 85% of Imagination Library parents report reading to their child almost daily.
If you would like to support Imagination Library or if you would like more information about how to register a child, please contact Donna Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the KYNDLE office at 270-826-7505.
A check can be mailed to:
KYNDLE Education Foundation
P.O. Box 674
Henderson, KY 42419